This little red potato salad is light on mayonnaise, it will be your new choice for summer barbecues.
Small red potato salad
I love a good homemade potato salad, and this one is absolutely delicious, especially if you’re not a fan of the traditional mayonnaise-laden potato salad. It only uses a tablespoon of mayo but still has lots of sauce from Dijon mustard, olive oil, and red wine vinegar. And since it uses red potatoes, no need to peel the potatoes so it’s faster too! For lighter potato salad recipes, try this rainbow potato salad and summer potato salad with apples.
This healthy red potato salad is my favorite way to enjoy a potato salad. Red potatoes provide vitamin C, vitamin B6, potassium, iron, and dietary fiber. They are even richer in fiber when eaten with the skin.
Should I cut the potatoes before boiling them for a potato salad?
Yes, I like to cut my potatoes into pieces of the same size so that they cook faster and more evenly.
How to make a small red potato salad
The potato salad is super easy to make. While your potatoes are boiling, prepare and mix all the other ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Vegetables: Red baby potatoes, green peppers, red onion, shallots
- Sauce: Dijon mustard, extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, mayonnaise, salt and pepper
What to serve with a potato salad
This red potato salad is perfect for a picnic or barbecue. You can do this the night before, so it’s good to go. It would be perfect with burgers, grilled chicken or sandwiches.
- If you can’t find small red potatoes, use regular red or golden potatoes.
- Substitute another colored pepper for the green pepper or add celery.
- Substitute shallots for the red onion.
- Add fresh dill to this potato salad.
More summer recipes you’ll love:
Small red potato salad
This small red potato salad is the perfect accompaniment for a potluck or lunch for summer barbecues or a picnic. It’s light and easy to make with lots of fresh flavors.
- 4 cups small red potatoes, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 Chopped off green pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 Chopped off Red onion, finely diced
- 3 Green onions, diced
- 1 1/2 coffee spoons Dijon’s mustard
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low fat mayonnaise
- salt and fresh pepper
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain.
While the potatoes are boiling, combine the red onion, green pepper, mustard, olive oil, vinegar and mayonnaise and season with S&P.
Once the potatoes are cooked, toss them in the bowl with the dressing and add the scallions and salt and pepper to taste.
Serve at room temperature or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Portion: 3/ 4 cups, Calories: 107.2kcal, Carbohydrates: 17.8g, Protein: 2.2g, Large: 3.2g, Fiber: 2.1g
Blue smart dots: 3
Green smart dots: 3
Purple smart dots: 1
+ Points: 3
Keywords: Gluten-free vegetarian meals